A bargeman posing with his horse on the Uxbridge towpath - photograph

Description:
The Grand Junction Canal was one of many private canal enterprises in England in the late 18th century. A section running from Paddington to Uxbridge opened in 1801. The canal became part of the Grand Union Canal in 1829 when a number of companies were brought together to create a network running from Birmingham to the Thames. By the late 19th century, railways were taking over much of the goods transport business from canals. However, working barges were still a common sight in the years before the Second World War. Strong Shire horses like these were used to tow barges along sections of the canal.
Production Date:
1920 - 1925
ID no:
LTM_2004/20375
Maker:
Photographer : W Whiffin
Copyright:
Copyright unknown - London Transport Museum collection

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?