Exterior view of Lots Road power station with two chimneys - photograph

Description:
During the 20th century, Lots Road was the principal electricity generating power station for London Transport. It was built in 1905 and closed only in 2001. In its years of service, Lots Road power station progressed from being coal fuelled, through being oil fired, to finally using gas fuel. Gas was first used in the 1970s. Because it produced less sulphur and waste gases, Lots Road was able to reduce its level of gas emissions. This meant the station only needed two, not four, chimneys. This picture was taken in 1997, long after the power station had begun using gas fuel, and shows the two remaining tall chimneys.
Production Date:
Jun 1997
ID no:
LTM_2002/9165
Maker:
Photographer : Hugh Robertson
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?