View of the façade of Bond Street station - photograph

Description:
Bond Street station was opened in 1900 by the Central London Railway, which later became part of the Underground Group. Confusingly, Bond Street station is on the corner of Oxford Street and Davies Street. The original plan was to use the name Davies Street, but the name was rejected. In 1908, Gordon Selfridge proposed a tunnel under Oxford Street linking the station with his department store. He also suggested changing the station name to Selfridges. This was also rejected and the name Bond Street stuck. The station was redesigned to include a sub-surface booking hall and escalators between 1924 and 1927. This photo from 1927 shows the facade, designed by Charles Holden, that was later demolished.
Production Date:
1927
ID no:
LTM_1998/75671
Maker:
Photographer : Underground Group Photo Dept
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?