A sightseeing coach outside Westminster Abbey - photograph

Description:
This sightseeing coach outside Westminster Abbey is a T.F.-type, converted for sightseeing. This included special glass panels in the roof. The T.F. prototype was futuristic when it was introduced in 1937. As well as an under-floor engine, it included cab that was all glass above waist level, giving the driver great visibility. T.F.s were developed for use by the Green Line, which operated services in semi-rural areas on the outskirts of London and beyond. At a time when private car ownership was still rare, Green Line coaches were popular, especially for holidays and day trips. This picture was taken in 1950. The T.F.-type lasted another three years, until 1953 when they were replaced by the R.F.-type.
Production Date:
22 May 1950
ID no:
LTM_1998/47015
Maker:
Photographer : Colin Tait
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?