Medallion commemorating the opening of Kingsway and Aldwych improvements - medallion

Description:
In 1905, the Kingsway Road Scheme was opened by King Edward VII. This medallion was made to mark the completion of the project. It is inscribed 'L.C.C.' (London County Council) with the words 'Kingsway and Aldwych, opened by His Majesty King Edward VII, 18th October 1905'. The Kingsway Scheme was built as part of a great slum clearance and followed the realignment of two new streets, Aldwych and Kingsway. It included a subterranean tram route, the first section of which opened in 1906. Two years later, the link from Aldwych to Embankment was completed. The subway allowed trams to travel from Bloomsbury to Westminster in as little as seven minutes. It also connected the trams systems north and south of the river via tram tracks on Westminster Bridge.
Production Date:
1905
ID no:
LTM_1990/182
Copyright:
Transport for London

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?