Henriques, Lady Rose L.

Date of Birth:
1877
Date of Death:
1972
Henriques, Lady Rose L.

Born in London in 1877, Rose Louise Loewe grew up in a cultured Orthodox Jewish home. She was gifted in the arts and studied the piano in Breslau in Germany before the First World War.

In 1914, Basil Henriques founded The Oxford and St George's Jewish Boys Club in Cannon Street Road. Rose began to help out at the club shortly after it opened in March. She founded a parallel girls club in 1915.

Basil served in the army during the First World War. During this time Rose directed both clubs and the settlement attached to them. She also became anurse at Liverpool Street Station.

The couple married in 1916. He was 6 foot 4 inches (1.92 metres) tall, and she was 'very short' with a strong personality. Later, at the age of 80, Rose was still described as having 'boundless vitality'.

The Henriques established the St George's Jewish Settlement in Betts Street in 1919. They became affectionately known as 'The Gaffer' and 'The Missus'.

The Settlement moved to Berner Street in 1929, and was renamed the Bernhard Baron St George's Jewish Settlement. It became a model of its kind, offering a wide range of services to the local community. Berner Street was later renamed Henriques Street.

During the Second World War, Rose was an ambulance officer and later an Air Raid Warden. In 1943 she joined the Jewish Committee for Relief Abroad (J.C.R.A.). As Head of the Germany Department, she was involved in planning for the post-war relief effort.

Alternate Names

  • Loewe, Rose Louise

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?