City of London Police

Date Established:
1839

The City of London Police force is responsible for the safety of everyone in London's 'Square Mile'. There are some 7,000 residents in the City of London, and a daily influx of around 350,000 commuters and 300,000 vehicles in addition to tourists.

The 1839 City of London Police Act formally established the force. Initially based at the Corporation of London's Guildhall, its headquarters moved to Old Jewry in 1842. The first commissioner was responsible for some 500 men. Until the 1930s, serving officers were required to live within two miles of the City.

The City Police Hospital was founded on the site of the current Bishopsgate police station in 1865. It provided care for serving officers for over 80 years until the introduction of the National Health Service in 1947.

A City Police Ambulance service was introduced in 1907. Call boxes were sited throughout the City and uniformed officers manned a new electrically powered ambulance. This service was disbanded with the establishment of the London Ambulance Service in 1949, however the force's tradition of community care continued. In 1996, City Police officers became the first in Britain to be trained to use portable defibrillators to help treat heart-attack victims.

Between 1930 and 1932, manually operated traffic lights were introduced at Ludgate Circus. Europe's first automatic traffic lights were soon installed at the junction of Cornhill and Bishopsgate to manage the increasing volume of traffic. The force acquired its first two patrol cars in 1937.

Alternate Names

  • City Police

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?