Battersea Bridge with "dark satanic mills" (including Lots Road Power Station) In background -

Description:
Battersea Bridge was built in 1890 to replace an earlier toll bridge, and links Chelsea with Battersea. From the Industrial Revolution until the 1970s, Battersea had a large amount of industry, concentrated especially along the southern bank of the Thames. The best known of these buildings is probably the now-disused Battersea Power Station, begun in 1929. Lots Road Power Station, which can be seen in the background of this picture, is located on the northern bank of the Thames in Chelsea, and was built in 1906 to supply power to the Underground. The area suffered, as did much of industrial London and its port, during the decline in British Industry in the 1970s and 1980s.
Production Date:
c1910
ID no:
BGATE_LAMAS/B53
Maker:
London and Middlesex Archaeological Society
Copyright:
London and Middlesex Archaeological Society

Bookmark with:

  • What are these?